Friday 6 May 2016

'What's For Dinner?' - Lentil and Vegatable Cottage Pie

Hello Everybody!! 

Thank you all for tuning in for another post in my 'What's For Dinner' segment.  Today I will be reviewing one of my go to vegetarian meals - Lentil and Vegetable Cottage Pie! I absolutely love making this and make it so often! It's such a delicious meal and incorporates so many veggies! I found this on the Taste.com.au website where I find most of my recipes.  This recipes serves at most 4 people and only takes 16 ingredients, however I love to add a bunch of different vegetables. It takes roughly an hour to prepare and cook which although seems like a long time it doesn't require you to be present so you are able to do other things whilst cooking it such as writing a blog post? haha


As for the Ingredients, You will need;
1 tbls vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped



There are a few ingredients here that wouldn't always be found in an average persons cupboard such as the sundried tomato pesto or the Passata however I would estimate that to buy the entirety of these ingredients it would cost roughly $50AUD or less.  
As for the method you will want to first preheat the oven to 200°C. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion for 1-2 minutes. Next add the celery, carrot and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add pesto, passata, bay, thyme and stock. Simmer this gently for approximately 15 minutes until vegetables are cooked. Stir in rinsed lentils and season, next transfer to your chosen baking dish. Meanwhile, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, drain and mash. Stir in butter, milk, yolks and cheese. Spread over lentil mixture and roughen top with a fork. I like to add a sprinkle of cheese and some breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden.


This has become such a go to meal for us and we often have it with a salad on the side so it goes a little bit further.  We always get at least two meals each out of it which obviously lasts us two nights.  It's super simple and easy to make although it does make a bunch load of dishes.  I do realise that it looks super complicated but I promise you that after making it a few times the steps become second nature and the longest part is the cooking time is when it's in the oven! This meal is super tasty and like the last meal post I wrote you can change alot of the ingredients in this one to suit what ever ingredients you may have in the fridge making it super cheap also. Unfortunately everytime I make this I waste  most of the vegetable stock because I buy the pre-made stock and don't use the excess within the 3 days it recommends so I have been trying lately to find two recipes that I can cook a few days apart that both use vegetable stock so that I don't waste it.  Alternatively you can just buy the cubes and make them up with water and use that. That would also probably be a cheaper option.  


Unfortunately the above picture doesn't make it look very nice but I promise you it tastes 100 times better than it looks. I was so upset when I had to take the picture because I didn't have any green garnish to make it look better. But seriously please don't be turned off by the fact that it looks questionable, it truly is delicious and so filling.  I highly recommend this to everyone, vegetarian or not.  It's just that good.

I best sign off now or I feel like I will ramble on too much! If you try this out don't forget to let me know! If I have missed anything or you have any questions please ask them in the comments below, I'd love to get chatting! Thank you again for reading and I hope you all are having a wonderful day! 

Until Next Time 
BrittanieDe-Anne xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment