Monday 6 June 2016

'What's For Dessert?' - Creme Caramel

Hey There Everybody!!

I decided I wanted try something different this month and attempt a dessert instead of dinner.  So I figured I would change this segment from 'What's for Dinner' to 'What's For ... ' where then, I will change from Dinner to Dessert or even Appetizers depending on what I want to cook or any requests I get.  This post however will be a dessert and it just so happens to be my partners favourites dessert so the pressure was on! I chose to attempt to make Creme Caramels for this weeks post as we have been buying them lately for treats every now and then and I wanted to see just how hard they were to make. To be completely honest, they weren't as hard as I was worried they would be but they definitely aren't easy that's for sure.  Lets just jump straight into is shall we? 


To begin, you will need:
6 Eggs
300ml Thickened Cream
1tsp Vanilla extract
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1 1/4 Cups Caster Sugar

As for creating this master piece you will first need to preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.  Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden. I boiled mine for over 10 minutes and it was still a light yellowish colour so I would recommend waiting fully until it is truly golden because my caramel didn't turn out how I wanted it to. Remove from the heat and set aside for 2 minutes to allow bubbles to subside. Pour the sugar mixture into the ovenproof dishes of your choice and set aside to set.  
Combine the cream, milk and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until small bubbles start to form at edge of pan. Remove the pan from heat.  Next, whisk the eggs and the remaining sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Slowly add the cream mixture, whisking constantly. Strain this mixture into a jug and divide between the dishes. 


Lastly place the dishes in a large baking dish, pour boiling water into said baking dish until halfway up the sides of the smaller dishes. Bake for 30 minutes or until just set. Remove the baking dish from the oven and remove the dishes from water. Set these aside to cool and refrigerate overnight. When serving the Creme Caramels, run a thin knife around edge of each dish and turn out onto 1cm-deep plates. Now enjoy your treat!

These are the most gorgeous little treats and you could put just about anything with them, fruit, ice-cream or just have it alone like I did. Honestly they are very sweet so I think fruit would be a wonderful choice.  In all honesty, I don't see myself making these regularly when I can just dash to the store and buy two perfectly made desserts, but if I wanted something a little more special for an anniversary or birthday and wanted a personal touch I would definitely give these a go again. Like I said earlier though, my caramel didn't turn out how it should so if I were to attempt these again I would definitely leave the sugar and water to boil for longer to allow the caramel to really for as mine turned out with clumpy sugar water on top which was still delicious but not the same as caramel.  As for the price of ingredients, this is a fairly cheap dessert to go for, I think I paid roughly $10AUD for everything I needed, in saying that I always have eggs in the fridge so I didn't have to buy them (my parents have chooks). This recipe is a little tricky to navigate so if you are just beginning I would recommend that you try it out but don't be too hard on yourself! 


All in all I had a blast making these and doing something other than dinner! Although I think this month is going to be a dinner post because I found a whole bunch of delicious looking vegetarian recipes on Pinterest that I'm dying to try out! I'm sorry this is so late, I had this almost finished and I had to restart my computer and in doing that it deleted everything I had, even though I saved it.. I hate technology haha
I hope you are all having a fantastic day and I'll see you in my next post! 

Until Next Time
BrittanieDe-Ann xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment