Friday 8 July 2016

'What's For Dinner' - Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats

Hey Guys and Gals,

How are you all? I hope you are all having a wonderful week and aren't working too hard! Looking forward to the weekend I bet, unless you are like me and unfortunately have to work the weekend. Oh well, it's worth it right? haha 
I'm back again today to bring to you another 'What's For Dinner', and I am so super excited for this one because it was so fun to make! I found this recipe on Pinterest and am bloody in love! I love making really creative things for dinner and you will find that almost everything vegetarian has the most flavour, especially Mexican! So here are the Zucchini Burrito Boats I made for dinner a few nights ago! Hope you enjoy.


Ingredients, You Will Need:
4 Large Zucchinis
1 can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
1 cup cooked Brown Rice
1 cup Salsa (use you preferred level of spiciness)
1 Red Capsicum, Cored and Diced
1/2 Red Onion, Diced
1/2 cup Corn Kernels
1 Jalapeno, Cored and Diced (optional)
1 tbls + 1 tsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 cup fresh Coriander, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 cup Shredded Cheese

This delicious meal is probably the easiest to make. First you will want to grease a casserole dish and set it aside.  Slice each Zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon hollow out the centre of each Zucchini.  Lightly brush the tops with the 1 tsp of Olive Oil then place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
Next place the tbls of Oil in a large pan on medium heat.  Add the onion and peppers and cook for 2-3minutes.  Add the Rice, Corn and Beans along with the Salsa, Chilli Powder and Cumin.  Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes then remove the pan from the heat and set aside.  
Preheat your oven to 204 degrees celsius then stir in 1/4 cup Coriander and the salt to taste into the filling.  Spoon the filling into each of the Zucchini halves until they are all full.  Sprinkle each half with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25minutes.  When finished remove the foil and set them in the oven to broil, cooking them for a further 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.  Allow them to cool for 5-10minutes then top with fresh Coriander and serve. 


As I have said, these are so fun and so simple to make, anyone can make them without messing up, and they taste fantastic! As for the ingredients, if you are a huge spice fan you will have most of these ingredients in your pantry, however saying that I did have to go and buy most of the ingredients seen here apart from the Zucchinis, Cheese and Capsicums.  I also chose to use white rice instead of brown and decided to cut out the Jalapeno because I don't do hot very well. So if I was going to estimate how much it would cost to buy the entirety of the ingredients I would say easily under $60 although most of you may think that is dear, I made 8 halves and had two left over so depending on how many you eat, these may last you two days.  Also most people have spices and veggies on hand so this could be a very cheap meal for you if you have already purchased most of the spices.  I have also heard lots of good reports on black beans saying they are a wonderful source of protein and fiber which is a massive plus when you are eating vegetarian.  I will say though, I don't like the taste of Coriander, it is a very acquired taste in my opinion so if you are like me, I would recommend you reach for something more like Parsley or Basil. All in all though this is an incredibly delicious meal and is definitely being added into my fortnightly meal plan as a staple meal! 

I hope you guys enjoyed this post as much as I loved cooking it! Also I am so close to starting YouTube it's getting scary and I am so excited to continue my 'What's For' segment over there too! I received a lot of bowls and cute kitchenware today that I am excited to use in my upcoming cooking videos!! They are just so damn cute! Once again guys, Thank you so much for tuning in and if you have any questions don't hesitate to leave them in the comments!! 

Until Next Time 
BrittanieDe-Ann xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment